Online college courses can sometimes get a bad rap in the education and professional world, but more and more prestigious colleges are beginning to offer online classes—even graduate-level classes—as a way to boost enrollment and save money. The advantage to students is that they can study from just about anywhere in the world and still get an MBA from a top-notch university like Duke or Penn State.
But not all online programs are created equal. Just because you can enroll and attend classes online doesn’t mean you won’t have to travel or that your tuition will be greatly reduced. For example, take a look at the top online MBA programs in the US below and compare prices and in-class time to get the most for your money.
- Duke University: One of the most prestigious universities in the US offers a 16-month long MBA program that will give you an edge when you are out looking for a job. You can do the majority of the courses online, but you will need to attend 6 residential sessions on the South Carolina campus. The total cost of the online program: $120,000.
- Penn State: Not to be outdone by Duke, Pennsylvania State University also offers a well-respected online MBA program for those who want to earn their degree while still working full-time. Although Penn State only requires you to attend one session in person, they also require you to have a “residency experience” with a US company. The program is 2 years long and costs a little over $51,000.
- Indiana University: Indiana University’s online MBA program can be done almost completely online, with only two one-week, on-campus sessions required. The program is flexible and can generally be completed in about 2-5 years, depending on your pace. Total cost: approximately $50,750.
- University of Florida: The University of Florida has two options for completing their online MBA program. With no work experience, you can take a 2-year MBA program that requires 8 on-campus sessions every term. Or, if you have more than 2 years of work experience in the business field, you can apply for the 1-year MBA program that only requires 5 on-campus sessions every term. Taking the 1-year option will save some time but not a lot of money. The 1-year program cost is just over $41,000, whereas the 2-year MBA option will cost just over $47,000.
- University of Massachusetts–Amherst: This program can be completed totally online with no campus visits required during the course of the program. It is flexible, but most students finish in about 2 years. The cheapest of the programs so far, the U of M–Amherst MBA program will cost you about $30,750.
Although these are some of the top US colleges with online MBA programs, there are a number of others that offer similar degrees with varying levels of prestige and cost: Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Florida State, University of Texas–Dallas, Virginia Tech, and Northeastern University all offer great online MBA programs. Learn more about these various programs to find out which one will be best for you.
This is a guest post by Gunter Jameson. Gunter writes about several topics including travel, minimalism and online schools.