Students today have access to more knowledge sources than at any other time in history. As the Internet’s potential continues to expand, the education system is moving online as well. Digital books are replacing print textbooks, and mobile tablets are replacing handwritten notes. This technology helps students do everything from saving time to studying smarter.
There are certain educational challenges that are universal to all students. To get good grades, you must study effectively. You must be organized to meet project and test deadlines. You need to keep a calendar so you know what class to attend on which day. You need to make sure you have the materials you need to complete your assignments. You need to have access to reliable communications to facilitate team-based classwork. Today, the good news is that you have a choice between keeping hard-copy notes or making use of new technology and apps to do the same.
From high school to college, many institutions are now issuing laptops to students as a standard part of the admissions process. Students are also using smart phones, tablets and personal computers to improve study results. Before purchasing a smart device for school use, be sure that the apps you want to install are available for the operating system your device runs on.
Great Apps for Students
These apps can give you a boost in every area of student life. If you need help studying, you will find an app that helps you study more effectively. If you struggle with time management and organization, you can find an app to help you. If you need tutoring in a certain subject, there is an app for that, too.
Taking notes is still the best way to learn material before a big test. These apps can help you take notes like a professional.
- StudyBlue Flashcards is a free app for Android and Apple smart devices. This app lets you access flashcards, make your own flashcards and set study session reminders in advance.
- Evernote Peek is a free app for iPad users that automatically translates the notes you take into flashcards. You can input notes as audio, text or image files. If you have a smart cover for your iPad, you can also use the cover to quiz yourself by hiding the answers.
- Open Study Mobile is a free app for Android and Apple smart phones and tablets. The app connects you with tutoring in a wide variety of subjects.
Time Management and Organization
In college, there is less structure and more autonomy. For some students, this improves their test results; for other students, this presents a challenge. These apps will take the worry out of remembering class days and deadlines.
- School Helper is an Android app that allows you to track grades, class schedules and class notes. You can also set reminders by activating various widgets.
- iStudiezPro is the Apple equivalent to School Helper. This app syncs between all Apple smart devices and sections your calendar out into holidays, instructors, planner, overview and assignments so you can keep everything straight.
- Trello is an app for both Apple and Android devices that helps you manage small group projects. This app can help you keep track of your responsibilities as well as the group’s progress and allows real-time collaboration among group members.
Homework is still a big part of school life. These apps can make your homework assignments easier and faster.
- Graphing Calculator is an Apple smart-device app that helps you chart and compare different graphs and share them with members of a study group.
- iBooks is an Apple iPad app that lets you search for digital versions of your required textbooks.
- Dictionary.com for Android or Apple smart devices helps you look up more than 200,000 words with the click of a button.
Choose Your Apps Wisely
If you take some time to evaluate your classroom strengths and challenges, you will be able to identify the apps you need to guarantee your success in the classroom.
Author Info: Arlie Carlisle is working toward her human services degree online. She is looking forward to launching her first app soon and applying these newer technologies to public health jobs.